The successor to Canon’s popular A70, the entry-level PowerShot A75 is a surprisingly advanced model with a 3.2-megapixel resolution, 3x optical zoom, and more manual features than you’ll find on most digital point-and-shoots. Featuring a high-tech design with aluminum front cover and metallic handgrip, the PowerShot A75 combines a sense of both the modern and the traditional.
Optics and Resolution
The PowerShot A75 has a maximum 3.2-megapixel resolution for images up to 2048 x 1536 pixels. You’ll have the depth and detail you need to create beautiful prints and impressive online results. It also has 1600 x 1200, 1024 x 768, and 640 x 480 resolution modes.
It’s is equipped with a 5.4-16.2mm zoom lens (35mm film equivalent: 35-105mm) for a 3x optical zoom. It also featuresa smooth 3.2x digital zoom, for a 9.6x total zoom. The 9-point AiAF is capable of focusing the 3x optical zoom quickly even when the subject is off-center and can be switched to single point (center) AF. An auto-assist beam helps to focus in low light conditions and the camera has a 5cm closest focusing distance.
In addition to still images, the PowerShot A75 can also capture video with audio (and even edit within the camera). Individual movie clips are limited to 3 minutes maximum per clip, and you have three resolution options: 640 x 480 (VGA), 320 x 240, or 160 x 120.
More Camera Features
The PowerShot A75 has 12 shooting modes that not only let you take as much or as little creative control as you want, but offer perfect preset parameters for common shooting situations including portraits, landscapes, night scenes and sports. In addition, the camera has a new Special Scene Mode that delivers even under the most challenging conditions.
Offering a wider scope for photographic experimentation, Canon has also included manual, aperture priority, and shutter priority exposure modes. These modes are supported by a metering system that boasts evaluative, center-weighted average and spot options. Other features include:
- 1.8-inch low-temperature polycrystalline silicon TFT color LCD (110,000 pixels) and real-image optical zoom viewfinder
- With 9-point AiAF, focus is fast and accurate no matter where your subject appears in the frame
- Photo effects: Vivid, neutral, low sharpening, sepia, and black & white
- Continuous shooting: Approximately 2.2 shots/second
- White balance control: Auto, pre-set (daylight, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, fluorescent H), or custom white balance
- Built-in flash with Auto, Red-Eye Reduction ON/ OFF, Slow-Sync modes
- Shutter speed: 15 to 1/2,000 seconds
Canon Technology Features
- Digic Imaging Processor: While much technical discussion of digital cameras centers around the optics and the CCD sensor, the complex task of image rendering is the job of the image processor–the “brains” of a digital camera. Canon’s latest, exclusive DIGIC Imaging Processor significantly enhances digital camera performance in numerous areas. DIGIC’s high-speed signal processing is combined with high-capacity buffering to give Canon digital cameras fast response and continuous shooting capability unmatched by other digital cameras. DIGIC delivers longer battery life and beautiful, rich color rendition with far fewer white saturation problems. And DIGIC’s unequaled precision delivers clear, noise-free images that are demonstrably superior.
- iSAPS Technology: Canon iSAPS (Intelligent Scene Analysis based on Photographic Space) technology dramatically improves the performance of AF (Autofocus), AE (Auto Exposure), and AWB (Auto White Balance). By analyzing a huge volume of photography data, accumulated over 60 years and the manufacture of over 150 million cameras, Canon engineers arrived at statistical relationships among focal length, focus distance, scene brightness, and other factors. Equipped with this “fore knowledge” Canon PowerShot cameras can optimize AF/AE/AWB settings for any given scene more rapidly and more effectively.
- Multi-point AiAF: Canon’s wide-area, multi-point AiAF (artificial intelligence autofocus) automatically selects one or more focusing points based on factors, such as subject position and motion. AiAF works in conjunction with iSAPS Technology to more quickly and accurately achieve autofocus under a wide variety of shooting conditions. You get fast, accurate AF whether you hold the camera horizontally or vertically, with stationary or moving subjects, with off-center subjects, and even in low-light/low-contrast lighting.
The PowerShot A75 introduces a new Print/Share button that speeds and simplifies printing to compatible Canon and PictBridge enabled printers and one-touch image transfer to Windows XP, Me, 2000, and 98 computers for use with image processing programs, uploading to the Internet, or placement in e-mail. When connected to a Canon Compact Photo printer, a Movie Print mode divides the selected clip into equal parts and prints thumbnails of a maximum 63 equally spaced frames onto a single sheet of Postcard Size Paper.
Storage and Transfer
Images and video are stored on CompactFlash memory cards (Type I only) and the included 32 MB card holds approximately 33 images at the Large/Fine setting. Images can be downloaded to either a Mac or PC via USB 1.1 connectivity, which means the camera can be connected to any USB-based Windows Me/2000/XP and Mac OS 8.6 or later computer without installing any software.
Power and Size
The camera is powered by four AA batteries (alkalines included; rechargeable NiMH batteries recommended). With the LCD on, you will get approximately 250 shots on when using alkalines, or 550 shots when using NiMH batteries. It measures 3.98 by 2.52 by 1.24 inches and weighs 7.06 ounces (without batteries).
What’s in the Box
This package contains the PowerShot A75 digital camera, 32 MB CompactFlash card, wrist strap (WS-200), USB and A/V cables, and 4 AA alkaline batteries. The supplied software on the CD-ROM includes browsing and printing software ZoomBrowser EX (Windows) and ImageBrowser (Mac). Other software includes PhotoStitch, plus photo and movie manipulation software ArcSoft PhotoStudio and VideoImpression.
(Please note prices are subject to change and the listed price is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of posting)