Closely following Palm’s announcement of their brand new mobile handset, the Pre, and operating system (webOS), reaction was swift and unanimously exuberant. Palm has certainly hit this out of the park, and if the tech community’s reaction is any indication, this will certainly save the company for at least a little while to come.
My quick thoughts on the Pre and the OS:
- the new webOS gets multitasking right
- unified application for messaging (text, IM, Facebook, etc.) – Palm gets it
- very sexy looking piece of hardware
- love that they’ve retained the QWERTY keyboard and so maintain that link to their once solid Treo lifeline
- disappointed that there’s no SD card slot
- learned from Apple’s mistake of not including a user replaceable battery
- hopefully they will upgrade the firmware quickly to enable video recording and Adobe Flash support.
One more cool photo for the road: