The 3rd and last in our GPS section of the 12 Gizmos of Christmas is the Garmin Forerunner 301 which is a heart monitor with GPS built-in for all you health-conscious geeks out there who love getting outdoors for your workouts – running, cycling, hiking, etc. Like most other heart-monitor systems, the Forerunner consists of a wrist unit and a digital heart rate transmitter that you wear around your chest. The transmitter is coded that so there is no interference from other heart rate monitor users nearby. The 301 unit continuously monitors heart rate, speed, distance, pace, and calories burned. You can set up alerts to help you maintain your heart rate within a specific range. Now, for the GPS features, the 301 lets you do things like mark your starting point, maintain a ‘breadcrumb’ trail, and offers a USB connection to your PC for analyzing your workout data afterwards. For you off-roaders, you can also overlay your path onto a map. The 301’s rechargeable lithium-ion battery runs for 14 hours.
- Waterproof, wrist-mounted training device/GPS receiver for tracking lap times, distance, heart rate, and calories burned
- Digital heart rate transmitter wraps around your chest; comes with heart rate zone chart that sets training targets
- Embedded GPS sensor provides basic navigation, with info on distance and speed and suggestions on getting home
- Virtual Partner mode sets time, pace, and distance goals and races you against digital competitor
- Includes Training Center PC software
(Please note prices are subject to change and the listed price is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of posting)