The Roku is well-known for its streaming media capabilities, but that's not all this versatile device is known for. If you have never explored the extended capabilities of your Roku player, you're missing out. From playing your own media to using the box to check your social networking profiles, you'll get far more use out of the box once you've read this.
1. MicroSD card slots. Are you running out of hard drive space between games and Roku channels? All of the Roku models except the basic LT model come with a Micro SD card slot that allows you to expand the system's internal memory. Micro SD cards come in many different capacities, so you can pick the one that fits your size and budget.
2. Games. If you aren't in the mood to watch any television shows or movies on the Roku, you have the option of loading games on to the box. Some models, such as the Roku 2 XS, comes with the Angry Birds game preloaded. You play Angry Birds and other Roku compatible games on your television, instead of being stuck at your computer.
3. Personal media playback. The Roku 2 XS comes with a USB port that is compatible with external USB devices. You load your own personal media on one of these devices and connect it to the Roku. Supported file formats include MP4, MOV, MP3, JPG, PNG, and several others.
4. Internet radio. In the mood for music more than streaming movies and shows? Pandora has an app available for the Roku box that brings your stations to the television. You sign in with your Pandora account so you can load all of your custom stations and enjoy your favorite music mixes. If you'd rather listen to your purchased music collection, Roku features iTunes integration so you can stream directly to the box. You don't need to load iTunes on your computer at all.
5. Watching Sports. Many people stay away from streaming media boxes such as the Roku because they're afraid that they won't be able to watch their favorite sports games on television without cable. The Roku box features several packages that cover popular sports such as the UFC and MLB. Sports access is no longer a problem with this streaming media box, and it eliminates yet another barrier in getting rid of your cable service entirely.
The Roku box made a name for itself by supporting many popular streaming media services, such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon. However, the added features give it an even better boost in popularity and give you a flexible way to add these applications and features to your television. Instead of purchasing expensive network adapters for your TV to get its own apps to download, or looking for laptop deals with HDMI out, you can simply use a Roku with its built-in wireless connection.